Sunday, April 28, 2013

It's That Feeling You Get


My favorite feature of a camera isn’t the high light sensitivity, it’s not the intervalometer for time-lapse photos, it’s not even the gorgeous video it takes, but the simple ability to capture moments in time, or memories as they affectionately called.  There isn’t always something special about the photograph, it may not even be taken well, or occasionally out of focus. Though somehow these things don’t seem to matter as much.  The people in the photo, they matter, they mean the world to us.

My singles group at church do service projects, now and again. Recently we’ve been cleaning the common areas of the apartments the church owns. We purchased the apartments to help people trying to get their life back together, and it seems to have positively affected the neighborhood as well, praise the LORD. This Sunday, however, we replaced the wood on a very tired picnic bench at said apartments.





Several of us had forgotten this and were not dresses appropriately, and by not appropriately I mean they were wearing heals! This didn’t stop them, and it made me proud. It was a simple thing we did, and only took about two hours. They laughed we shared though, those will last a lifetime. My camera we being a little temperamental, always wanting to bring the background into focus when it was the foreground I wanted. It might have helped to strap the flash on for fill light. In the end the photos were just decent and I became a little discouraged, then I remembered my epiphany.



It was another Sunday morning a few weeks prior, I was driving to church, my camera in my backpack  (I’m rarely without it), and the LORD spoke to me. It was nothing audible, which was unfortunate as I had some questions for our great King. I have been taking pictures of my family, my friends, and those I love, for some time now, and there is a feeling I get when I take these picture, but up until this point I had not been able to describe it. This is what the LORD told me:

It’s that feeling you get when you know everything is going to be okay, because the people in the picture with you, love you. They loved you then, and now, and if you left, they’d miss you.



So capture your moments, your adventures in this journey we call life. Don’t just photograph what’s attractive or eye-catching, photograph memories, and in the in the end you may just find you like those blurry, over-exposed photos better.



No comments:

Post a Comment