Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Street Photography Tips Part 2

      Street Photography, for an introvert like me it's difficult to put yourself out there and get the shots you need. It's easier when the farmer's market is large and the hustle and bustle acts more like a camouflage for the photographer. Unfortunately, The San Angelo Farmer's Market consists of less than 10 vendors. With so few people present, the likelihood of being notice as the only one with a camera taking random pictures of anyone is rather high! But for the love of the 'click 'click of the camera we must press on.
      In instances like the one described above, I recommend asking permission first. As you can see from the picture below they were more than happy to and if they see you taking more shots later on they pay little attention, knowing what you're there for. In fact, at quaint Farmer's Markets like San Angelo's it's possible for the vendors to get to know you and be greeted as a familiar friend.
      Be professional, dress nice! I don't mean where a suit and tie or fancy outfit, you want to be more or less incognito, but be presentable. Despite the expected heat, even that of the early morning hours, I wore jeans, a polo shirt, and my Converse (because I'm rarely without them). The public will more take notice of someone snapping shots if they wear tattered clothes, in some areas the police may even be called! So take some good advice and dress nice :)

      This next tip is optional, but I would recommend it for any aspiring street photographer, make/buy business cards. If someone stops you and asks what you're doing, or on asking for permnission to take a photo they say "why?", you'll have these handy business cards to prove you're not a creepy stalker looking for your next victim. Really, you'd be surprised how someone attitude changes when they see you as a professional. If you are nervous about putting your contact information on the card stick with item that are already public information. For example, your Facebook page (Burn & Dodge Photography), or Twitter account (WxDunn). These, in my experience, have been adequate to placate the apprehensive subject.
       Lastly, it's important to remember the legalities surrounding public photography. You cannot legally use these pictures for profit unless you get a model release from each identifiable subject in the shot (on the safe side I usually get one from everyone in the shot unless they are really to far to see). I recommend keeping some handy should a great shot present itself. I cannot stress this enough, especially when it come to photos with children, parents are rightly very protective.

       I will end this blog post with a fun story from the San Angelo's Farmer's Market. I had a conversation with a watermelon vendor while at the market, the conversation went as follows:
Me: What's the trick to finding a good watermelon, am I suppose to thump it or something?
Vendor: The trick is I picked them this morning and they're fresh.

Need less to say I bought a watermelon!

No comments:

Post a Comment